Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Weird Happenings or Am I Crazy

In the shadow of a calling I found myself . . .

Excited with the realization that I am truly a writer and these are my first public steps.

Musical Moment:
~ “Tainted Love” Marilyn Manson

A few years ago a writer named John Scalzi asked his readers to list some of their experiences that few to no other person could lay claim to. I thought this was a great idea and complied my own list. While cleaning up my office, I found the list again and added to it. I am sure it’s not complete (or I have buried the memories of some of my adventures), but here it goes:

I bought a car I did not know how to drive. It was a brand new Volkswagen and manual. I always wanted to learn to drive one and thought there was no better way to learn than to force myself into it.

I was chased by two evil Turkeys.

I rode in a car with hitchhikers. I was in Switzerland, so it was okay. (Please note: I do not recommend this.)

All but one of the many times I have ridden in a limo was accidental, unexpected and free. The not-free ride was when I . . .

Walked down the red carpet at the Essence Awards ceremony and stood next to Bryant Gumbel, Bill Cosby and saw – heaven help me this man is monster gorgeous – LL Cool J.

Went Trapeze flying on my 37th birthday.

Three times I have quit jobs and moved across the country – twice to places where I knew no one - without a job to go to.

I was “accidentally” in a runway show, and no, I was nowhere near Paris, New York or Milan.

I was hijacked by a frog. This tale will eventually be incorporated into my (as yet unpublished book series “The Hoppernots”.

I accidentally end up in a PBS special. It was called “American Experience: Patriots Day” and has been broadcasted every year on Patriots Day since 2004. I’m pretty sure you can recognize me, but my husband Joe was in it more than I was. If you read the Transcripts, you can see our names listed, although they spelled my name wrong.

Created a version of the Aristocrats joke with my husband that will probably send us directly to hell. It was really, really funny and I can’t tell anyone or they too will go to hell.

Sat down and listened, really listened, to a Jehovah’s Witness, Mormon, and a Pentecost (not at the same time though). While I had no interest in joining any of the religions, I found their beliefs and the stories fascinating and I would love to do the same with a Scientologist.

I can recite the alphabet backwards.

Started smoking cigars long before it was “fashionable” for women to do so. (A rare occurrence nowadays)

Went skydiving and loved it so much I did it twice - back-to-back.

I did a Firewalk on top of hot coals. Didn’t get burned, not even a little bit.

Went horseback riding on a horse named Taco Bell who tried to runaway with me.

Almost got run over by Steven Tyler of Aerosmith at a mall.

Floated in a sensory deprivation tank.

Drove across country (Connecticut to Florida) by myself.

Attended a sweat lodge in Sedona, Arizona.

On a spur of the moment and out of curiosity, I went to a Unitarian Universalist church and ended up participating in a Jewish Seder ceremony.

I met Simon LeBon of Duran Duran’s mother.

I hung out with two different Shamans Rahelio and Clay Miller.

Even though my mother is an amazing cook, I taught myself. Our personalities are too close for us to play nice in kitchen.

Although I was visiting with family and friends, I predominantly traveled through Europe by myself because they were working or going to school and I am not one to sit around and wait for people to take me places.

When I worked at bank, I prevented myself from getting robbed by listening to my instincts. The man came to the bank the next day, twenty minutes before my shift, and robbed them. I identified him from the tapes and he was caught.

So come on. You know you want to. Walk down memory lane and create your own list. I bet you’re more adventurous than you thought you were.



Post a Comment