Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Momentum or or “Are you done with the book yet?”


“So Deb (croak-chirp-croak), are you almost done with that book yet?  My friends and I are ready to be famous."



In the shadow of a calling I found myself . . . 
                                                
                                                      Filled with nervous energy.

Musical Moment
        ~ “Morricone: Sergio Leone Suite - 2. Cockeye’s Song From Once Upon A Time In America”    Yo-Yo Ma, Gilda Butta, Ennio Morricone

I am going through what I hope is the final read through of my first novel.  The farther I get into the novel, the closer I am to the end, the slower I go.  I love my story.  I really, really do, but I am at that point that I am sick to death of editing and reading and editing, editing, editing and reading again.  I wonder how other people deal with the process of creating their novels.

I love writing, but it is not easy to do and I feel that writing fiction is especially difficult because most if not all of what you write is created from nothing but your imagination.  I always find it amusing when people who know I am working on a book ask me, “Are you done with the book yet?” or “When are you going to be published?”  It’s almost a waste of time trying to explain that writing and publishing are not as easy as sitting down to write for five days, sending out a manuscript (because, of course, the first draft is absolutely perfect) and Voila! a publisher is cutting you a check for 6+ figures and your name and novel are on the top ten list of the New York Times Best Selling Publishers.  That is a fantasy that would be lovely to happen, but it is just that.  A fantasy.  

Writing is more like getting an idea you think is interesting.  Creating a outline or just jumping into the writing if you are a pantser.  Then you write and I mean you write pure undiluted crap, then hem and haw on what to keep, what to get rid of, and what to expand on. Then you read.  Then you hem and haw on what to keep, what to get rid of, and what to expand on.  Then you read.  Then, if you are comfortable with where you are you may share your work with your critique partners.

And then . . . 

You read and then you hem and haw on what to keep, what to get rid of, and what to expand on.  And on and on . . . 

It’s a vicious cycle, but a cycle most writers love.  I too love this.  I am getting used to having people read my work.  I am getting used to the idea that I “really am a writer”.  I am investing in myself by being apart of great writing organizations, going to conferences and networking with other writers and people in the industry.  I am happy to know that my ego does not pop up (too badly) when I receive my critiques back because my partners are only there to make me better.  I am simply happy that I have found something, an occupation, that I truly love.  Something that helps to balance out the analytical side of my work life with creative possibilities for my whole life.

But lawdy, I need to be done with this book.  I want to move on to the next one, but I need to do this book right.  And so, I’m off to . . . 

. . . hem and haw.
Post a Comment