Monday, January 07, 2013

Happy Birthday!

In the shadow of a calling I found myself . . .

                                            Breathing in the air of possibilities.


Musical Moment ~ "Recognition" Susie Suh
            


Today is my birthday! I love my birthdays. It is a reconfirmation that I am alive. I have a purpose. I have a mission.  I have a truth to find and a truth to live.

Some people use the New Year to make resolutions on how they want to change, how they want to live or what they want to do, but sadly many of these goals disintegrate in a matter of days.  So I never make resolutions.  I use the day of my birth to remind me that I am here on this earth for a short period of time. I reflect over my life so far and ask myself these questions:

Did I laugh?

Did I love?

Did I listen?

Did I feel and show compassion?

Did I help?

Did I do something new?

Did I speak when I should have?

Did I hold my tongue when it was prudent?

Was I creative and embraced my artistry?

Did I appreciate those who create and embrace their artistry?

Did I tell them they were an inspiration?

Did I support my friends?  My family?

Did I sit in silence and listen to the voice of the Great Spirit?

Last year, was a rough year in my life.  But in those dark moments, those deep days and tear-filled times, I was able to stand up, throw the dust and pebbles off my shoulders, put on a fabulous pair of shoes and take steps away from the rubble to become stronger and more appreciative of my life - of life, in general, and all its complex beauties.

This year, I am going to do all of the above, but I am going to take each day and breathe in the moments.  I am going to find those adventures that make me learn and see and feel.  I want to be fully alive.  I want to be fully engaged.  I am going to push myself outside of my comfort zones and experience all that I can. 

In my writing life, I am going to kick fear in the teeth and write like I am alone in universe and I am writing it a Psalm.  I am going to figure out the type of writer I really am and make decisions based on the truths that arise from this inquiry.  

Will I be completely successful? 

Who know? 

Life cannot be plotted and planned, but must be lived with the flexibility of a Cirque Du Soleil dancer.  But that, my friends, is life and that is why on the day of my birth I give my self the gift of time (I never work on this day), the gift of silence (to meditate on the abundance that is life), to remember self care is important (Mani-Pedi, anyone?), to nourish myself (Thai food is on the menu), to love (all my family and friends who contact me to celebrate the day of my birth), to laugh (thankfully, I married a very funny man), and most importantly, To Be.

I am already planning my adventures for this new year of my life, but first I must . . .

Breathe.


Post a Comment