Friday, August 16, 2013

Dictionary Challenge #2


Dictionary Challenge #2

In the shadow of a calling I found myself . . .

Breathing in August.

Musical Moment ~ “The Storm” (Bram Stoker’s Dracula) Wojciech Kilar




Another week, another date with the Webster Dictionary. I kind of wished I still had hardcover Encyclopedias to do this challenge with. It’s just not the same online.

Saturday ~
Clerical – 1. Pertains to the clergy or to affairs of the church. 2. Pertains to written records, copies, or office work.

I am not a religious person, but on occasion, I enjoy clerical conversations. There is much to learn from all religions. My life has been made rich by these clerical moments with me and someone with a spiritual life I am unfamiliar with.

Sunday ~
Pregnant – 1. Carrying unborn young. 2. Fertile; inventive. 3. Full of significance.

My imagination is pregnant with the possibilities of stories untold.

Monday ~
Sake – 1. Interest; account. 2. Purpose.

For my creative sake, I hope to be published in the near future.   The waiting game of enticing agents and editors is a long and sometimes painful path and some days seem more painful than others.

Tuesday ~
Psoriasis – A chronic skin disease characterized by scaly, reddish patches.

A wonderful friend of mine has psoriasis. She bravely walks the world with these badges on her skin – from face to foot – and while it is uncomfortable for her, she is bigger than the psoriasis patches that tattoo her skin.

Wednesday ~
Atmosphere – 1. The entire gaseous envelope of the earth; the air.  2. A unit of pressure, about 15 pounds per square inch. 3. Environment; predominant aspect or mood.

People are so worried about the atmosphere and the decisions humans to change the earth.  The atmosphere is much more fragile than we think or perhaps the things we do has humans are so powerful that the Universe is showing us the effects of our destructive acts by transforming the atmosphere into a source that has turned against us.

Thursday ~
Poison – 1. A substance that causes injury or death upon ingestion, contact, or injection. 2 Any baneful influence or doctrine.

When I think about history and its powerful people, I can’t imagine living in a time where I was so powerful people would try to poison me. I wonder if I would be okay letting someone else taste my food just so I was protected.  Things to ponder.

Friday ~
Misspeak – Speak or say incorrectly.

I am terrified of public speaking. Even if I know the topic well, I always fear my mind would freeze on me and I would misspeak or begin to ramble confusing my audience.

I didn’t open the dictionary every single day, but I did find my words and let my mind ponder their place in the world. I leave learning and this seems like a nice and easy way to learn words I've never heard and re-learn words I'm familiar with. Makes me wonder if there are any of my "known" words with definitions I've been misusing. 

Dictionary info:
The New American Webster Handy College Dictionary, Third Edition


Post a Comment