Friday, July 18, 2014

Going Indie – A Book in the Hand is Worth…Everything

In the shadow of a calling I found myself . . .
                               
Staring change and opportunity in the eyes.

Musical Moment ~ “Blue World” The Moody Blues

© Photo by Joe Dempsey
I haven’t been perfect with blogging the last few weeks, but that’s because the Indie publishing side of my life was pushed into overdrive. My book, The Hoppernots is coming out on August 5th and the last few weeks have been filled with work: hiring and working with the awesome book formatter Ali Cross of Novel Ninjitsu, uploading those formatted files to all the places you can find and purchase by book: Amazon, Barnes & Noble’s Nook Press, Smashwords, Apple iBooks, and Kobo and (the hardest and longest process) I signed up with IngramSpark (my paperback book provider) and created the cover jacket of my paperback book. What a steep learning curb I had. I had to use Adobe InDesign to create the book jacket for in the template IngramSpark provided. I’ve never seen InDesign, never used InDesign, but now I (somewhat) know what I’m doing. It’s easy once you get the hang of it. (And yes, it looks like any book you would pick up at a bookstore.)

Anyway, last night I came home from work and found the UPS guy had gently laid a package on my doorstep. Yes folks, the proof copy of The Hoppernots arrived and I am overwhelmed with happiness.

I did it.

I FREAKING DID IT!!!

I set my mind, my heart, and my intention toward becoming a publisher and I not only created Pug Paw Press, but I officially became an author. This dream has been bubbling in me for years and I took the bull by the horns and steered it in the direction of my own choosing. It’s been a fun, sometimes scary, sometimes challenging ride, but a ride well worth it.

That’s it for right now. I’m going to bask in this moment and then it’s back to business:

The business of marketing and publicizing my new book.

The business of working on book two – THE HOPPERNOTS: CAUGHT IN A WEB.

The business of writing my next Going Indie blog post­­ because the process is just as important as the desired result of being an author and you can never have too much information on Going Indie.

The business of enjoying this feeling of accomplishment because…

I FREAKING DID IT!

Good luck and Good Writing,

Deb
Post a Comment