Monday, November 17, 2014

Diversity in Books

In the shadow of a calling I found myself . . .
                               
Wondering about health and personal responsibility

Musical Moment ~ “Invisible (RED)" U2

Diversity in Books come in many forms: I am a Jamaican American author. My debut novel THE HOPPERNOTS is a middle-grade fantasy novel for readers still young enough to be enchanted by woodland dwellers and for older readers who secretly believe in the magic and madness of the forest. The themes of the novel are about friendship, courage, community, nature, and the human-animal relationship. While I do not focus on the diversity of people, I do so through animals in a different manner of seeing people and animals in all of their glorious differences and how though working together we get to see each other’s positive attributes, the similarities between ourselves, and the power and grace of working together.


I have been a voracious reader since I was a child, but there have been few books where I have seen myself or my friends who have been black, African, Thai, Vietnamese, Puerto Rico, Cuban, Persian, Saudi Arabian, Indian, Caribbean Islanders, Korean, on and on and on. The only way I had the opportunity of learning about different cultures was through my insatiable curiosity and the generosity they and they're families have had with all of my questions. I have devoured thousands of books in my life, but NOW is the time the world is ready to be introduced to the stories of people who look nothing like you. Not as a way to sway you to be like them, but as a way to see the similarities of your lives and appreciate the differences as well.

Let us embrace the beauty of this earth and its people. The only way to gain peace on earth is to see and appreciate each other as the glorious human beings each of us are. 

For more information, please check out the official We Need Diverse Books website. Let's keep the movement moving forward.


Post a Comment