“So Deb (croak-chirp-croak), are you almost
done with that book yet? My friends and I are ready to be famous."
|
In the shadow of a calling
I found myself . . .
Filled with
nervous energy.
Musical Moment
~ “Morricone:
Sergio Leone Suite - 2. Cockeye’s Song From Once Upon A Time In America” Yo-Yo Ma, Gilda Butta, Ennio Morricone
I am going through what I hope is the final read
through of my first novel. The farther I get into the novel, the closer I
am to the end, the slower I go. I love my story. I really, really
do, but I am at that point that I am sick to death of editing and reading and
editing, editing, editing and reading again. I wonder how other people
deal with the process of creating their novels.
I love writing, but it is not easy to do and I
feel that writing fiction is especially difficult because most if not all of
what you write is created from nothing but your imagination. I always
find it amusing when people who know I am working on a book ask me, “Are you
done with the book yet?” or “When are you going to be published?” It’s
almost a waste of time trying to explain that writing and publishing are not as
easy as sitting down to write for five days, sending out a manuscript (because,
of course, the first draft is absolutely perfect) and Voila! a publisher
is cutting you a check for 6+ figures and your name and novel are on the top
ten list of the New York Times Best Selling Publishers. That is a fantasy
that would be lovely to happen, but it is just that. A fantasy.
Writing is more like getting an idea you think is
interesting. Creating a outline or just jumping into the writing if you
are a pantser. Then you write and I mean you write pure undiluted crap,
then hem and haw on what to keep, what to get rid of, and what to expand on.
Then you read. Then you hem and haw on what to keep, what to get rid of,
and what to expand on. Then you read. Then, if you are comfortable
with where you are you may share your work with your critique partners.
And then . . .
You read and then you hem and haw on what to
keep, what to get rid of, and what to expand on. And on and on . .
.
It’s a vicious cycle, but a cycle most writers
love. I too love this. I am getting used to having people read my
work. I am getting used to the idea that I “really am a writer”. I
am investing in myself by being apart of great writing organizations, going to
conferences and networking with other writers and people in the industry.
I am happy to know that my ego does not pop up (too badly) when I receive my
critiques back because my partners are only there to make me better. I am
simply happy that I have found something, an occupation, that I truly
love. Something that helps to balance out the analytical side of my work
life with creative possibilities for my whole life.
But lawdy, I need to be done with this
book. I want to move on to the next one, but I need to do this book
right. And so, I’m off to . . .
. . . hem and haw.
No comments:
Post a Comment